WEEK 8 (Jun 27 – Jul 3) — GAS GAS GAS!

 On Monday we began learning CBRN (Chemical/Biological/Radiological/Nuclear) information and drills. We were taught how to react to situations in which we would be exposed to any CBRN attacks. It’s something that every soldier has to know, but I hope I never find myself in that type of situation. It’s rats. You have to wear a full suit, which is meant to protect you from all contaminants in the atmosphere/environment. We wear a heavy jacket and trousers, rubber boots and rubber gloves, which all go over top of the uniform that we already wear. When there is a CBRN threat expected, then we must wear all that kit. If/when attacked with CBRN weapons, there are alarms that sound, and anyone who notices the signs of a CBRN attack, for example, aircraft overhead and then gas in the air, or the smell of fresh-cut hay, geraniums, fish, garlic, or almonds, must yell “GAS GAS GAS!” 

When someone yells “GAS GAS GAS!” you have maybe 10 seconds to get your respirator on. On the outside of that suit, we carry a haversack on our hip with our respirator in it. If any gas threat is detected, you are to hold your breath, bend over with your head downwind, close your eyes, then pull out your respirator and put the straps over your head. Then with whatever breath you have left, you purge the respirator by exhaling forcefully to expel any gas inside the mask. Only then can you open your eyes and breathe normally. It's not comfortable to wear though. Sort of digs into your chin and your neck.

On Wednesday, we had our “Confidence Test,” i.e. a test to gain confidence that our respirators function as they should. So, we were led to a “CBRN facility,” (nice way of saying “gas chamber” but we can’t use that term because of sensitivity to certain historical events…). We formed up in details of eight. I was in the first detail. Just wanted to get it over with, but I also wanted to see everyone else as they came out J. 

We put on our respirators and then held onto the shoulder of the man in front of us, walking into the chamber in a line. The corporals started burning CS pellets to produce the gas (which is essentially tear gas) while we were instructed to do several movements, like walking around in a circle, touching the ground, jumping and turning around, etc. Felt perfectly fine. No effects whatsoever. Then we formed up into two lines facing each other, and one by one the corporals asked us to take a deep breath, remove the mask, and then identify ourselves: “Corporal, I am Rct. ________, aspiring to join the ________ Corps as a ________” etc. Some did quite well and managed to say the full thing, and then were asked further questions like where they were from, etc., until they started coughing and spluttering. Others couldn’t even start talking before they were grimacing and choking, and each time that happened the corporals grabbed them by the scruff of the neck and launched them out of the chamber into fresh air. I managed to say my identification and then the gas got me in the back of the throat as if I’d inhaled the smoke of a hundred burning chillies. Immediately I began coughing such that I couldn’t properly draw another breath. It’s a terrible feeling having your breath taken away so suddenly and not being able to inhale fully without choking on it. I would describe the pain of it like eating really spicy hot wings and having that pain in the back of your throat while also having your lungs spasming at the same time. And your eyes are on fire as well. Even in the open air I continued coughing, short pathetic coughs like when you’ve inhaled your spit when you’re sucking on a sweet. I had to stand with the breeze in my face to ease the stinging in my eyes. After a few minutes the pain dissipated however, and I was left only with a stream of snot and tears flowing down my face and a few emotional scars J. It’s funny how it sort of just goes away, and you then think “Well that wasn’t so bad,” but in the moment it’s rats. The next groups made their way through the chamber and we watched as they made their way out. Most of them looked like a wreck: red eyes, snot and tears all down their faces just the same. I understand why it’s used for riots now—as soon as it hits you all you want to do is get away from it. It’s not a pleasant experience, but it was fun in the sense that it was unique, and we probably won’t get to experience it again (not that you’d really want to anyway). 

On Thursday, we had a day out on the range. We shot from distances of 100 m and 200 m in preparation for our ACMT (Annual Combat Marksmanship Test) next week. We must pass the ACMT or we will be held back—you’re not much of a soldier if you can’t shoot effectively. I’m not worried about it. I managed to land most of my rounds during the shooting session; all that is required of us is to hit the target. Grouping size isn’t evaluated. 

I enjoy shooting. We shoot from four basic positions: prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing, each in both unsupported and supported variations. Prone (lying on your front on the ground) is the most stable position, and standing is the least stable and therefore the most difficult. The best part for me is being able to see the groupings and seeing how accurate I can be. I’m fairly confident with my shooting, but it’s fun trying to improve it as well. 

We have another battle camp coming up next week so I expect this coming week will be focussed on practising at the ranges in preparation for our ACMT and prepping for battle camp, where we will put into practice everything we have learned in the last few weeks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 4 (May 30 – Jun 5) – Rifles & Grenades

WEEK 2 (May 15-21) – Into the Woods